Thursday, April 5, 2012

Julia Murdock Smith, the thoughts of a 19th Centry Adoptee

This post will be the first of several in which I would like to highlight some great blog posts that I have been itching to acknowledge for anywhere from a few days to a few months. 

To kick off passing the buck I would like to share two posts from Megan, who shares beautifully and humorously her experience and feelings as an adoptee on her blog, Earth Stains.  The two posts I would like to highlight, both written on the experience of Julia Murdock Smith a 19th century adoptee, piqued my interest for two reasons.  First, because Julia provides an insight into her experience as an adoptee during a time when voices like hers were rare to hear.  I don't know much about adoption policy back then but I imagine it was quite different to modern day policy.  And yet the thoughts she shares about being adopted are not so different from many of those shared today.

The second reason that these posts piqued my interest is because Julia is the adopted daughter of Joseph and Emma Smith.  Joseph Smith was the first prophet of the restored Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormon Church) and Emma was his wife.  After losing twins born prematurely, Joseph and Emma adopted twins Joseph and Julia Murdock born just the day before the Smiths lost their twins.  Joseph and Julia's mother, also named Julia, died just hours after giving birth to them.  I'll let Megan's words take over from here as she did such an amazing job sharing the story not only from the perspective of Julia but also from the perspective of John Murdock, Julia's first father.

Joseph Smith's Adopted Children - This is the first post providing background on the adoption of Joseph and Julia, the story of (little) Joseph's death, John Murdock's thoughts as a first parent and a discussion of the effects the adoption may have had on him.

Joseph Smith's Adopted Daughter - In this post, Megan summarizes Julia's life including quotes from Julia herself on her experience and concludes by discussing the universality of some of the feelings of adoptees.  She also provides links for a more complete biography of Julia Murdock Smith.  I'm devouring these resources as we speak.


Julia Murdock Smith

Thank you Megan, for writing these posts!  I hope everyone finds them as interesting, informative and eye opening as I have.

2 comments:

Faith said...

Wow, this was fascinating stuff! Thanks for sharing!

Megan said...

Jill, Thanks for the link!